Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Hunter: DJay's review

For reference, The Hunter was written by CuteWithoutThe and can be found here.
Pros: It was a wild ride, pretty damn interesting, and it wound up having a pretty intense cast of characters. I am being completely honest here in saying that there were a lot of parts that have inspired great ideas for my stories (if The Manufactured Newborn ever shows up in Rapture, this blog will have been the reason). Your depiction of The Rake was simply.. iconic, completely memorable. From the beginning, you had me thinking the Fears were what they normally are (The Rake was just a creature of sheer ferocity), but towards the final acts, you had my brain speeding around, figuring out what all the true intentions were (The Rake was pulling a million Xanatos Gambits a second in order to counter/play along with everyone else's! Holy shit!). The ultimate climax of this story, the turning point where the Hunter has his entire life forced into his consciousness at once on the giant Blind Man's book, setting him up for the revelation that he was wrong all this time? That was legitimately breathtaking. I almost wanted to cry when everyone in his life told him they were sorry for everything, and your depiction of The Blind Man's attacks were very much creepy. Finally, "Everything to nothing" were excellent Arc Words, and you gave me goosebumps some of the times you used them.

Cons: Narm city sometimes, man. The Hunter's typing was a little too.. immature, I dunno. It's the same complaint I have with Peter Rivers; it's obvious that it was written by a teenager. The time travel was fitting to the story, but I can't say I really liked it. The fact that The Wooden Girl helped him made me roll my eyes, too. At times, The Blind Man sounded less like a well-knowledged eldritch being and more like a James Bond villain. Finally, on a note unrelated to narm, it did get confusing a lot, all throughout the story.

My conclusion: CuteWithoutThe's The Hunter is a tale of heartbreak, betrayal, confusing timelines, antagonists eldritch and mundane. It starts off as a story of the ultimate chase, and as the story reaches its Tomato In The Mirror climax, it becomes an emotional tale of redemption. You learn to sympathize and empathize with James, and the various plot twists will take the air in your lungs from everything to nothing in ten seconds flat. If you can stick with the blog through the odd plot, you'll find a bona fide Fearblog by the esteemed founder of The Fear Mythos.

No comments:

Post a Comment